Driving a vehicle is like driving the life of yourself and others. Drivers have a big responsibility on streets and roads – they need to be very conscious of their surroundings. Things that may cause drivers not to notice their surroundings are high speed, fatigue and distractions, such as talking on the phone.
1. Speeding can cost lives
- Driving speed is one of the most important factors that will determine the severity of a traffic accident.
- Did you know that increasing the speed by 10 km/h increases the likelihood of getting into an accident by 30%? At 50 km/h, the probability of a pedestrian being killed is 40%.
- Value life – there is plenty of time!
2. Fatigue at the wheel
- Every fifth road fatality in Estonia is related to driving when tired. When a driver is tired, their response time is slower and they can fall asleep instantly, without noticing it.
- Fatigue at the wheel is at least as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Take a break every two hours.
- Cherish your sleep and life!
3. The danger of distractions
- In Estonia, distractions lead to an average of two traffic accidents a day.
- Texting while driving increases accident risk by 23 times.
- When texting or reading messages at the wheel, the driver’s eyes are off the road for an average of five seconds. This means that the car travels on average the length of a football stadium blindly at road speed. If you are driving, then drive!
Written with the Estonian Transport Administration.